Gottman Method Couples Therapy in Seattle
Gottman Method Therapists
Trained Gottman Method Couples Therapists
Anchor Light Therapy Collective therapists, are trained in the Gottman Method of couples therapy. Through this approach, we apply proven assessment techniques and intervention strategies to support you in learning how to navigate conflict, improve communication, strengthen friendship, deepen intimacy, build trust, and share your life’s purpose and dreams with your partner.
Within the Gottman Method, the goals for couples therapy include increased intimacy, affection, and respect, and a defused quality to any contentious verbal communication. Once we remove the barrier of contentious communication, you will experience a heightened sense of empathy and understanding of your partner, leading to more harmonious interactions.
There are many aspects and nuances of the work, but for couples who are successful, it opens up aspects of caring and commitment that may have previously been a barrier.
Benefits of the Gottman Method
The Gottman Method Therapy for Couples is the outcome of 40+ years of research of observing couples to identify what makes couples separate or last over time. Findings from this research have identified four key predictors of relationship collapse: criticism, defensiveness, contempt, and stonewalling.
In order to heal these “Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse,” couples must enrich friendship, learn how to manage conflict, and create ways to support each other’s dreams for the future.
9 Pieces of Lasting Relationships
Drs. John and Julie Gottman have found that couples can heal these maladaptive patterns by incorporating nine successive pieces of lasting relationships which encompass the targets of Gottman Method Therapy:
1. Build Love Maps: Cultivate knowledge of each other’s inner emotional world, and your personal histories, worries, stresses, joys, and hopes.
2. Express Fondness & Admiration: Reconnect with and express your fondness and admiration for one another.
3. Turn Towards: Learn to directly state your needs, be aware of each other’s bids for connection, and respond to them.
4. The Positive Perspective: Develop a positive approach to problem-solving and improve your ability to successfully repair ruptures in your relationship.
5. Manage Conflict: Learn how to respond effectively to solvable problems vs. perpetual problems.
6. Make Life Dreams Come True: Create an atmosphere that encourages each person to talk honestly about his or her hopes, values, convictions and aspirations.
7. Create Shared Meaning: Understand important visions, narratives, myths, and metaphors about your relationship.
8. Trust: Learn to keep your partner’s best interests at heart and “have their back” so they can develop greater trust in you and rest easy knowing you’ll be there for them.
9. Commitment: This means believing (and acting on the belief) that your relationship with this person is completely your lifelong journey, for better or for worse (meaning that if it gets worse you will both work to improve it). It implies cherishing and reinforcing your partner’s positive qualities and cultivating gratitude
What is the Gottman Method Couples Therapy?
The Gottman Method Couples therapy is an evidence- based couples therapy intervention that is based on 40 years of research done by Drs John and Julie Gottman at the University of Washington. The Gottman Method is an approach to couples therapy that includes a thorough assessment of the couple relationship and integrates research-based interventions based on the Sound Relationship House Theory.
How does the Gottman method work?
The Gottman Method is an approach to couple’s therapy that integrates research-based interventions based on the Sound Relationship House Theory. It includes a thorough assessment of the couple relationship to assess strengths and areas for improvement.
Is Gottman Method Couples Counseling Effective?
Gottman Method Therapy for Couples is the result of over 40 years of research into what makes couples succeed and fail. Findings from this body of research have lead to the development of this successful model of couples counseling.
What is the Gottman Relationship Checkup?
“The Gottman Relationship Checkup”is an assessment used by your Gottman couples therapists. This tool streamlines the relationship assessment process for your therapist which provides you with personalized clinical feedback plus specific recommendations for treatment based on your answers.
Both you and your partner will take this assessment individually and your scores will be combined to identify strength in your relationships and areas of improvement to focus on in your couples/marriage counseling sessions.
Gottman Marriage Counseling Seattle
Does it work for married couples? Yes. Gottman Method counseling works for all types of couples.
History of Gottman Relationship Therapy
Gottman Method Therapy for Couples is the result of over 40 years of research at the University of Washington in Seattle into what makes couples succeed and fail. Drs. John and Julie Gottman observed/followed couples over these 40 and identified both what makes couples successful and what trends lead couple’s relationships to end.
Based on this research, Drs. John and Julie Gottman developed the Gottman Method of couples therapy / marriage counseling to identify strengths and resolve areas needing improvement. This method will help you and your partner strengthen and renew your relationship.
How to Schedule
Your initial 20 minute consultation is complementary.
Gottman Therapy Pricing
Therapy creates a space for you to experience healing and progress in a way that can change your life. But of course, it’s also an investment of both time and finances. When you’re ready to commit to healing and transformation, here is what you can expect.
Initial Intake Appointment
(55 minutes) $220 – Includes Gottman Assessment
(55 minutes) $175
We do not participate with any insurance panels. Anchor Light Therapy Collective is considered an out-of-network provider. We have chosen to not panel with any insurance companies and instead focus on providing the best care to our clients. Bypassing insurance allows us to create treatment plans that are not influenced by criteria dictated by insurance companies and offer the utmost privacy to our clients.
As a courtesy to any individual clients who wish to utilize their insurance benefits, We are happy to verify your out-of-network plan benefits to tell you what portion, if any, may be covered by your health insurance provider.
The client will pay for their session at the time of service. We will then file an electronic claim on your behalf, as well as submit any additional documentation required by your insurance company.
If your plan offers out of network coverage, they will reimburse you directly by mailing you a check.
Out of network insurance coverage varies.