18 May 11 Strategies for Coping with COVID-19
Strategies for coping with COVID-19, stay and home orders; as well as other types of grief and trauma
Some say time heals all wounds but we’re pretty sure they weren’t talking about two months of Stay Home orders.
The most important thing to know right now is that no matter what you’re feeling, you have a right to feel it—and to be accepted, respected, listened to, and understood. The second most important thing to know is that we are here for you on all accounts. It is all about accepting what is, and then meeting yourself wherever you are with that.
And, of course, how we can help.
STRATEGIES FOR ACCEPTING WHAT IS
- Explore Uncertainty Many of us are saying that we just don’t know what we feel anymore. What would it mean for you to accept that uncertainty—and even delve into it? Hypnosis is a safe, easy, and amazing way to explore the thoughts and ideas that you can’t quite get to otherwise. If you’ve never tried hypnosis, this is a great time to experience its benefits. If hypnosis has been helpful in the past, you can bet it will be now, too. HEIGHTEN YOUR CAPACITY TO UNDERSTAND YOUR PSYCHE
- Science tells us that laughter has many positive and immediate impacts on our mind and spirit. Even mere smiling lowers your heart rate and picks up your mood. So stack up two or three comedies on the streaming platform of your choice, and let the giggles work their magic. From the Three Stooges and Lucile Ball to Chevy Chase and Amy Schumer, tell yourself you’re doing something good for you (because you are!), and then just get lost in it.Want to take it up a notch? Arrange with a friend to synchronize start times, then call each other and just leave the connection open on your phones as you watch—separately but together.The only thing better than the sound of your laughter is their laughter. If you find you respond to science-y tips and solid information about boosting your feel-good hormones, we can focus on more of this stuff in your next session, or over a period of sessions. FOR A GOOD TIME: SCHEDULE A COMPLIMENTARY CONSULTATION TO LEARN MORE
- Write Yourself a Note Better yet, write yourself several notes! Find an old notepad, write down all the things you need to remember about yourself as you move through this challenging time, and then rip those pages out and place them all around the house. “I’m so dang smart!” tucked behind the coffee maker. “I always come up with awesome creative solutions!” taped on the bathroom mirror. “My friends love me!” slipped inside your favorite book.The power of positive thought is, well, incredibly powerful. In fact, why don’t you make a note to bring up the Law of Attraction in your next session? It’s one of our favorite things to geek out on. LEARN HOW TO ATTRACT GREAT THINGS INTO YOUR LIFE
- Start Something New No, we’re not going to tell you that this is the perfect time to learn how to golf; we’re thinking here of targeting new practices that truly benefit your mental health. Chances are good you’ve tried meditation by now. If tackling that one alone in your bedroom didn’t work, we’d love to guide you through some assisted meditation and mindfulness training.The extra boost of assistance and insight can be a real game changer. But there are lots more modalities you might try embarking on; one of our favorites is EMDR, or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. It’s getting super popular right now because it’s highly effective and can be applied to common anxiety as well as severe trauma. BOOK A 20 MINUTE CONSULTATION TO SEE IF EMDR IS RIGHT FOR YOU
- Get Grounded—In a Group Setting Now here’s a gathering with no limits, no masks, and no need to wash your hands afterward either. Our complimentary online group sessions have a new name—Anchor & Connect—and we’re looking to you to help us make them exactly what you need them to be.First off though, let’s level-set. This isn’t your grandmother’s church basement support group. (Not that there’s anything wrong with those!) Anchor & Connect is a safe online space with an unbiased network where we can all voice our concerns, share experiences, get and give feedback, and support one another.Proven fact: In helping others, we help ourselves. Another proven fact: There is power in voicing our feelings out loud. Whether you feel alone or whether you feel tapped out on the folks in your isolation or stay-home circles, Anchor & Connect is a community we’re building for you, with you.Can you take five minutes right now to tell us what kinds of topics and discussions would be helpful for you to explore in a group setting? Freaky finances? Being single in a crisis? Dealing with depression when you’re all alone? Kids and coworkers? WANT MORE INFORMATION? DROP US A LINE
EVEN MORE STRATEGIES:
- Stay Present When you start to spin out, tune in. Listen to the noises around you, feel the wind, smell some flowers or cut grass. Be here. Stay here.
- Remember That Nothing Lasts Forever Not even a pandemic. Repeat that silently in your head if you need to!
- Focus On Something You Can Control When it feels like everything is out of your hands, put something in your hands and change the flow. Take out the garbage, rearrange the furniture, book an appointment with us. You do have agency and you do have strength and power.
- Don’t Future Trip This isn’t a good time to be an imaginary tourist. See also: Stay Present.
- Stay In Touch IRL Here’s a trick: When you catch yourself in a mindless social media scroll, close the app immediately and cold-call someone you love.
- Reach Out to Someone Check on a neighbor or ask a friend if they need to vent. You’re not in this alone, and someone out there might really need you.
And hey, if a list of 11 strategies is, in and of itself, sort of overwhelming and stressful, we can work together on how to effectively bring tips, tools, and goals into your daily life in a way that is manageable and maybe even fun.
Honestly, there isn’t much we can’t do together. We’re ramping up our communications and doubling down on an effort to really be here for you. Sign up for our newsletter OR ask about our complimentary online support group, couples sessions, and individual work, we’re here to support you, empower you, and help you grow.